Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Picked up a old rca projection tv

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the big E

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:41 am    Post subject: Picked up a old rca projection tv Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Ok I have been eyeing this set for a few weeks at my local thrift store and decided to get it as I am have been wanting a older 4:3 set to use with my older game consoles

It is a rca model pjr500sr(made by hitachi for rca)

It works great just I need to tweak a few convergence adjustments (I think?) on the pcb along with clean the insides up

Ok so I remove the back of the set and am suprised to be staring at the back side of a weird looking set of lens(along with the electronics) with the tubes pointing bell down towards the bottom of the set

Ok now here is the part I can't seem to figure out how do I get to the mirrors to clean them?

I am afraid to remove the lens units as I worry about cooling fluid coming out(which would trash the set) if I did

It didn't come with a remote(not that it matters though)but it would be nice to have

Is there anyway I can get a service manual for this set at all?(have looked on line with no luck)

If pics are needed I can upload them

Btw I have already checked the inputs and they work(sucks it would need a convertor to get over the air as that would take away from the looks of the set)

I plan on putting it in my shop once I get it straightened out

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll probably have to remove the screen for the TV to get at the mirror, I had to do that on every RPTV I've cleaned, its the only way. Usually the tubes are separated from the mirror by a board in-between the screen and electronics... Anf you generally don't remove that to clean it all up.

You should also be able to get to the lenses from the screen face as well (I would think...) I've worked on probably 10-12 projection TV's total, but they are all more or less designed the same way.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have worked on projection tvs(both cleaning and service) many times and never seen one like this

I would love to get ahold of a service manual(it would be a godsend really)

What's weird is how it's setup instead of the tubes at the bottom of the chassis pointing up at the mirror they point down and the lens fire towards the front bottom of the set at a small mirror(it's this mirror I need to clean) then it reflects it up to another mirror then to the screen

I will upload a few pics of it today so someone can see it and help me to figure out how to work on it

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the big E wrote:
I have worked on projection tvs(both cleaning and service) many times and never seen one like this

What's weird is how it's setup instead of the tubes at the bottom of the chassis pointing up at the mirror they point down and the lens fire towards the front bottom of the set at a small mirror(it's this mirror I need to clean) then it reflects it up to another mirror then to the screen

I will upload a few pics of it today so someone can see it and help me to figure out how to work on it

That is quite an odd sounding set. Pics would probably help, seeing as you found the only RCA prototype RPTV in existence Razz Laughing

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if you search for an Hitachi service manual instead? Hitachi # VP3X

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
the big E

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy112 wrote:
the big E wrote:

That is quite an odd sounding set. Pics would probably help, seeing as you found the only RCA prototype RPTV in existence Razz Laughing

I will post pics for sure

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
What if you search for an Hitachi service manual instead? Hitachi # VP3X

Will do ar as i haven't had any luck searching for it as a rca set(weird)

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No luck searching for it as a hitachi set either(weird)
Anyway here is a few pics of the set
The front
(You can tell the insides need cleaning)

The tubes

The back side of the lens units(afraid to remove as I don't know how the cooling chambers are set up on the tubes)

The model number sticker on the back

Back side of the user controls(at the bottom of the pic you can see the service convergence board which I need to get to)

Layout diagram of the set

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no expert on TV's from 31 years ago... But it still looks like you need to remove the front screen to get at the lenses and mirrors according to the pic right above.
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, that's some LD - low definition! That mirror must be caked with smoke, dust, and dirt.

A lot of those sets had screen frame/bezel that was in four sections - top, bottom, left, right. The bezel sections held the screen on and snapped off to remove the screen material. Those sections were held on with t-slot or a few even used alignment guide pins and velcro if I'm not mistaken. Just a thought.

Hope you didn't pay too much for it! I see RPTV's all the time for free or nearly free - especially older stuff.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
the big E

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try and remove the screen
I think the bezels PPP into place it's just I am afraid I will damage the screen

I didn't pay a lot for it so If it does kick the bucket I ain't out much

I mainly got it for my older game consoles(nes, snes and n64) so if the tubes have wear it won't matter(it's cheaper then tubes for my projector anyway)

I have been messing around with the controls and got the picture a lot better then what it is in the pic(well for a sd set haha)

Ecrabb I will try and remove the bezel as it seems that's the only way to get to the mirrors
Just need to figure out how to get the conference controls in case I need to adjust them(Its near the front of the set on the right side if facing the front without removing the screen)

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey is this the original remote here: https://www.partstore.com/Part/Thomson/RCA/PJR500SR/Thomson/RCA/156532/Refurbished.aspx

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
El Duderino

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
That mirror must be caked with smoke, dust, and dirt.

The moire pattern makes it look like it has a large Fresnel lens in it.
the big E

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
Hey is this the original remote here: https://www.partstore.com/Part/Thomson/RCA/PJR500SR/Thomson/RCA/156532/Refurbished.aspx

Huge thanks for the link I am glad you found it for me

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

El Duderino wrote:
ecrabb wrote:
That mirror must be caked with smoke, dust, and dirt.

The moire pattern makes it look like it has a large Fresnel lens in it.

Ecrabb is correct it was filthy inside
I will post pics I took of the clean up process after I have took a shower(I feel dirty since I cleaned the tv haha)

It was from a church and has very little wear on the tubes just never has been cleaned(if ever)

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it cleaned and man it looks great

I have been doing the convergence at the service level to get it back in spec as the blue was messed with
I need to add some glycol to the tubes as they are a bit low
Here is a few screen shots

You can't tell it in the pics but the bottom corners have double image due to the low glycol
Not sure as too how long it's been like that

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: