Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

oppo 103 or 103D for direct connection to Barco 1209
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Nashou66 wrote:
How can you accurately know what the gamma is at every level with out instrument measurements. Your eyes can deceive you.

And probes can drift or fall out of specs over time.

I ask because those things need a definite number. What one person likes in an image another may not like. So to many here see
that your opinion of the Lumagen is subjective.

Nashou

Try pull up the multiburst pattern, or the croma zone plate, maybe a red or blue window.. play with the game mode and see if you notice some funny stuff going on to all the pattern image or solid color.

Forget about measurements for a few minutes, open your eyes and do a few very simple tests, if you see some funny stuff, you can start wonder and dig deeper.

I dont know anything... So ill let you experts take a closer look and find out whats up or down.

Also try put the gray ramp, look into the tube face in the darker area of the ramp, and tell me if the ramp looks smooth, or identical to what you see if you run 1080P 60hz out of your OPPO player.

Try repeat all the testing with other players, other processors, other displays, like a digital projector, and some flat panels, and let me know if there is a system to what you see with and without the Radiance in the signal chain.

When you have some results and impressions, we can compare if we get the same results.
Murillo

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your replies.

I have another question though, if I buy a Lumagen, how much will the Blu Ray player matter for the image quality? Can I buy just any blu Ray player and run it through the Lumagen?

I ask beacuse the Oppo is around 1 000 dollars where I live, there are a few pioneers for around third of that price.

Best regards
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murillo wrote:

I have another question though, if I buy a Lumagen, how much will the Blu Ray player matter for the image quality? Can I buy just any blu Ray player and run it through the Lumagen?

I ask beacuse the Oppo is around 1 000 dollars where I live, there are a few pioneers for around third of that price.

Best regards

In all honesty a lot of BD players will throw a very decent and acceptable image though Oppo is the gold standard. If I were choosing between the Oppo or a Lumagen Radiance I would take the Radiance now and then possibly buy the Oppo later.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murillo wrote:

Best regards

Go with any player you think will do, and the best HDMI solution you can find for the projector.

If you want the best all round player for scaling and features like Netflix, go with the OPPO.

Play with that for some time, and you might never feel any need to try out a Lumagen, and if you do you might be able to rent one for a period of time, and see if its something for you.

Denmark is not that far away if you ever want a demo. Wink
Murillo

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys.

One day I might take you up on that demo Stridsvoegen.

Best regards.
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kurt , in this article there are some REAl world video scenes to look for the Chroma Upsampling Bug.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/technical-articles-and-editorials/technical-articles-and-editorials/the-chroma-upsampling-error-and-the-420-interlaced-chroma-problem.html

With my set up on these scenes using the radiance and the Tv-One and the moome Mux and the oppo i do not see it in the video clips posted. I looked at this long time ago when doing set up originaly when I got the Oppo BDP 83 .

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/technical-articles-and-editorials/technical-articles-and-editorials/the-chroma-upsampling-error-and-the-420-interlaced-chroma-problem.html

Nashou

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
Kurt , in this article there are some REAl world video scenes to look for the Chroma Upsampling Bug.

With my set up on these scenes using the radiance and the Tv-One and the moome Mux and the oppo i do not see it in the video clips posted. I looked at this long time ago when doing set up originaly when I got the Oppo BDP 83 .

Nashou

Did you try what i suggested in the post above.?

When you do, let me know what you see. Thumbs Up
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CIR Engineering wrote:
Murillo wrote:

Best regards

In all honesty a lot of BD players will throw a very decent and acceptable image though Oppo is the gold standard. If I were choosing between the Oppo or a Lumagen Radiance I would take the Radiance now and then possibly buy the Oppo later.

craigr

I too have the OPPO 103D-AU and there is no question the image quality is significantly better than my Panasonic and my Pioneer.

The DVD upscale is also much better, and allows 50Hz DVDs to be output at 60Hz, which is something ive always had to use a PC for with my Barco because i couldnt fill the tubeface width on 50Hz at some resolutions. Although it was no drama with the XG, where i ran the player to output the original resolution of the disc.

I do use the Darbee, not alot of it, but it does make the image more appealing to my eyes, and the few that have seen it have all agreed it looked better on than it did off.

The EXT V3 MOOME is no match for the internal MOOME, there is a major step up right there, and potentially just as good is the HD Fury 4, which i have as well and it is quite a capable device.

RUNCO DTV991 LC ( NEC XG 852 LC ) 100" 4:3 screen, H/K AVR 5.1...
ellisr63

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just received my Oppo 105D, and i was very surprised as to how much of an improvement it made. I already had the Darbee (so now it will be sold). The 105D made improvements to our video with more punch, better black levels, and clearer picture (this was with the internal Darbee off).
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: