Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Westinghouse LD-3235 LED LCD TV -Not Responding/Blank Screen

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:11 am    Post subject: Westinghouse LD-3235 LED LCD TV -Not Responding/Blank Screen Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
My older Westinghouse cheapy 32" LCD TV from open box Best Buy is acting up. It was working fine and then one day when my wife was jogging on the treadmill, it just went blank screen.

None of the buttons on the TV or remote will respond. The only way to turn it off is to unplug it. The backlight is fully lit but the screen is black.

When I plug back in it will only turn on after hitting power button but then none of the buttons will work and requires a hard unplug again. Sometimes if you leave it on long enough, the back light will flash off and on.

I tore the thing down hoping to find some obviously charred parts or a loose connection. Nothing. Any tips, before it goes in the dumpster?

Here are the boards.

http://imgur.com/a/RAoVm
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Greg! 'Sup, man?

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guessing it's the main control board. Power supply should be OK if the main board responds to power, and the backlight is on. You might be able to find a cheap one on eBay but look CAREFULLY to make sure all the connectors match up.
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ What Curt said, Probably spares online, and the easiest way to repair too.

By the way Greg, Still using those tubes I got from you outta your XG, they look just as pretty as when I got them Very Happy

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to resolder the legs of the circled connector and then clean both connectors well.
The upper part of the connector in your picture looks a little dark. Is that the connector or just something in the image?

greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
Hey, Greg! 'Sup, man?

SC

Hey! I see how it is. I get to central Iowa and you move across the country! Smile

Curt Palme wrote:
Guessing it's the main control board. Power supply should be OK if the main board responds to power, and the backlight is on. You might be able to find a cheap one on eBay but look CAREFULLY to make sure all the connectors match up.

I did a quick search last night and found one on a website for $90! That is way too high for this TV on a hunch. I will keep trying. Great tip on the connectors. Thanks.

jeremy112 wrote:
^^ What Curt said, Probably spares online, and the easiest way to repair too.

By the way Greg, Still using those tubes I got from you outta your XG, they look just as pretty as when I got them Very Happy

Thanks! I am glad the tubes are getting good use. I still have ALL of my other XG stuff if you want anything. I probably have an old for sale listing you can review. Just message me for what you want/need. I guess that goes for anyone including Curt!

macgyver655 wrote:
You need to resolder the legs of the circled connector and then clean both connectors well.
The upper part of the connector in your picture looks a little dark. Is that the connector or just something in the image?

I was hoping you would chime in Mac! I will get a better look, but when I took the photos I was specifically looking for anything dark or burnt and didn't notice anything. I did remove and reseat all connectors with no impact on operation.

If I have to resolder, I am not liking my chances here. Wink

Cable company is coming on Monday to set up my new Tivo box and 2 Tivo minis and at this point I only have 2 TVs working. Guess I need to setup a projector. ::sigh::

BTW - also getting upgraded to 100 Mbps speed and 1000GB data cap!
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, if you do buy a board on eBay, look CAREFULLY at the Pc board!

I have a newish POS RCA LED TV here that I diagnosed a bad controller board on. Found that everyone wanted $80-100 for the board, so I kept passing. Finally found one for $40 out of an 'Element' TV. It looked identical, so I bought it. Sure enough, the set fired up.. only to find out that I guess the screen size was slightly different, so the amount of pixels was different, and I have jaggies all over the screen. Piss me off!

So now I'm looking at the exact one for $50 incl shipping. I liked the pix, and I can flip it for $200, so I think it's worth it.
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some more pictures:

http://imgur.com/a/fMjrm

I don't think I see anything dark on the connector from Mac's post.

Found a main board replacement at www.plasmafix.com. A TV repair shop in Washington. $60. Made an offer on a way overpriced board through ebay. Found it cheaper elsewhere but out of stock.
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are electing to change the main board anyways then you have nothing to loose by attempting to resolder that connector. No extra solder required. Just heat up your iron, place it on the first pin with slight pressure for 2 to 3 seconds then remove iron. Move to the next pin and do the same until all the way across. You are just reflowing using the solder already there. You have nothing to loose if you are wanting to replace it anyways.

If this was not such a common problem I would not be insistent. If it still does not work after this then it probably blew something out on the board. No picture or menu and still have backlight usually means no main power to the panel. Right next to that connector looks like the buck boost circuit that would supply panel power.
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macgyver655 wrote:
If you are electing to change the main board anyways then you have nothing to loose by attempting to resolder that connector. No extra solder required. Just heat up your iron, place it on the first pin with slight pressure for 2 to 3 seconds then remove iron. Move to the next pin and do the same until all the way across. You are just reflowing using the solder already there. You have nothing to loose if you are wanting to replace it anyways.

If this was not such a common problem I would not be insistent. If it still does not work after this then it probably blew something out on the board. No picture or menu and still have backlight usually means no main power to the panel. Right next to that connector looks like the buck boost circuit that would supply panel power.

Good point. I have nothing to lose. Will try and report back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: