Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

no video

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Green

TV/Projector: Marquee 9501LC / NEC 9PG+

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:01 am    Post subject: no video Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
My 7 yr old desktop had a video card (nvidia 8400gs) that died so I removed it as I only use that computer for surfing the web and this site. It has the on board video card that is just fine for that. Well, now after 5 years of working great that appears to have flaked out. I only care about the family photos and videos that might not be backed up (yeah yeah, I'm that effing lazy).

Sooooo, can I just take the Hard Drive out and switch it to slave and get the files on the laptop or can I get a $30 8400gs as it already has drivers for it and plug and play? Despite it currently set to the on board video?

Current Projector Marquee9501LC with PS3 (BLu-Ray) at 1080P LOVE IT! Screen is an Elunevision 120" 4:3 (2.4 gain - no hotspots). (also own a NEC 9PG+)
View user's photo album (28 photos)
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: no video Reply with quote

Mr. Green wrote:
My 7 yr old desktop had a video card (nvidia 8400gs) that died so I removed it as I only use that computer for surfing the web and this site. It has the on board video card that is just fine for that. Well, now after 5 years of working great that appears to have flaked out. I only care about the family photos and videos that might not be backed up (yeah yeah, I'm that effing lazy).

Sooooo, can I just take the Hard Drive out and switch it to slave and get the files on the laptop or can I get a $30 8400gs as it already has drivers for it and plug and play? Despite it currently set to the on board video?

Hard drive question first, if it is an IDE drive then yes set to slave, if SATA just plug in. Well neither option will work to connect to a laptop.

Motherboard question, how do you know it is the video chip that has failed? Maybe it is not booting up at all. Check the onboard battery for +3v, Remove hard drive and see if bios screen comes up, disconnect DVD drive and try again, remove a ram stick and try if it has 2. If only 1 ram try spare if you have one. Are you sure the monitor is working?

If motherboard is not working then a new video card will not help.
Mr. Green

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically if I turn monitor off and on I can see desktop long enough to see mouse cursor move across screen about 1/4 way before image goes blank. Never considered monitor. Freaking love that thing. It's an HP w2207h. It's big (21-23" can't remember) and has the best image quality I've ever had on a monitor. Still that versus a hardware fail... I'll get over it. I guess most TV's and projectors have VGA in "dsub". I'll have to try that too. Thanks for the input, I'll have to see what I have that has vga in. I think there's a 720p lcd tv in bsmt that has it for sure.

Current Projector Marquee9501LC with PS3 (BLu-Ray) at 1080P LOVE IT! Screen is an Elunevision 120" 4:3 (2.4 gain - no hotspots). (also own a NEC 9PG+)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a boot up with the...is it F8 key? It almost sounds like the PC is sending the wrong resolution to the monitor. Then at shut down it may be sending something it can handle.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Mr. Green

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to take a bit of time to work it out, but I'll post when that happens. the issue happened like 2 weeks ago and I've finally had time (1AM) to post again about this.

CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is sending an unsupported resolution you should still see the boot up screens in the BIOS, if you dont, then id say the monitor is dead, based on what you say about turning it off and back on showing you a brief image.

If that machine has a speaker in it and you hear one short beep on boot, then the video output should be working, if it was RAM or video card you should hear constant beeps and it wont load at all.

RUNCO DTV991 LC ( NEC XG 852 LC ) 100" 4:3 screen, H/K AVR 5.1...
Mr. Green

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would it suddenly start sending an unsupported resolution?

I'll drag it down to the basement and hook it up to the LCD tv down there. It should show something.

AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait a sec...when you have it on put a flash light to the monitor and see if it's your backlight that has died.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Mr. Green

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it's on but blank what will a flashlight show? I can try right now. I've never heard of this so don't know what I'm looking for.

Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will see the image .

Nashou

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the backlight isnt working shining a light in from the front and looking real close may show an image, it really sound alot like a monitor failure to me.

RUNCO DTV991 LC ( NEC XG 852 LC ) 100" 4:3 screen, H/K AVR 5.1...
Mr. Green

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok that's interesting. I listened to it carefully, there's some electric almost static noises each time something was displayed then no image after windows icon at boot up. Grabbed a bright flashlight and yup, the monitor is the problem. I can see the desktop, but can't find the mouse cursor. At least it's not the cpu.

Is there any way to repair this cheaply or do I need to just get another monitor?

Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be bad caps on the power supply board, very common on the monitors, or the backlight could be toast, in which case it's a throwaway.
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What brand/model is the monitor? As curt said its either a capacitor issue, or the inverter or backlights have died. a backlight is a pain in the ass to replace so again as Curt said, it wouldn't be worth repairing (unless this is a commercial grade display?)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: