Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

No forum notification mail?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Forum Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
All the more reason to check this forum EVERY DAY! Razz
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjaky wrote:
I got the newsletter from you Kal again, to me this means my e-mail not completely ignores ...-at- curtpalme.com senders.[

The newsletters are not being sent through the CurtPalme.com server. I'm using an Amazon SES (a pay service) to send them out. So completely different IP so it's not blocked.

Quote:
Isn't it possible to replace the 'old' forum-support sender with a new, clean address so the notifications would go out from this new address now on, that might not be blocked (yet).

It's not the email address, it's the originating IP (our server).

I'd use Amazon SES of this too, but the forum software is old so it doesn't support Amazon SES which requires more advanced security. I'd have to use some other pay SMTP service. Been looking into it... want to make sure that we do the right thing as far as emails going out is concerned as obviously we're not liked out there by many ISPs so I don't want to poison the well again.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:11 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's photo album (18 photos)
the big E

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also noticed it and I have yahoo

I did get the newsletter though(have got I to the habit of checking in more often though)

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same issue here, but this is the only forum that I have that issue with, so I don't think Hotmail is blocking it at all. There must be more to it than that, or other forums would be the same issue here too.

RUNCO DTV991 LC ( NEC XG 852 LC ) 100" 4:3 screen, H/K AVR 5.1...
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CasetheCorvetteman wrote:
Same issue here, but this is the only forum that I have that issue with, so I don't think Hotmail is blocking it at all. There must be more to it than that, or other forums would be the same issue here too.

As I mentioned earlier, the issue is that many ISPs are blocking any and all emails sent from our server IP, including emails sent by our forum software. ISPs block based on IP and content. Other forums run on other servers elsewhere so they have different IPs, hence the reason they're not blocked.

It doesn't make any sense that if Hotmail is blocking emails from one forum, that they'd be blocking emails from all forums all over the world. They're all separate.

Kal

CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theyre all PHPbb based forums though... I still get all others from here, just not the notifications.

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theyre all PHPbb based forums though...

That doesn't matter/has no relation.

I still get all the emails from our forum because the ISP I use to receive the mail is my own server which I manage (so there's no filtering at all).

Quote:
I still get all others from here, just not the notifications.

Our server does not send out any other emails. Newsletters and my personal emails all go out through a different pay service (which unfortunately our version of phpBB doesn't support). I need to look at using a completely different pay service just for the forum.

The issue doesn't affect everyone, but it appears that many of the major ISPs (Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo) are not accepting mail from our server.

Kal

Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw this thread. I'm not getting any Either. .mac account

Hmmm

Nashou

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok its pretty clear this issue is only something you can resolve Kal, it is quite obviously not just being blocked or filtered by one or two, it seems to be almost all of them.

Whether it is related to the fact i get emails from other forums or not is totally irrelevant, its not something we can fix from this end!!

ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok its pretty clear this issue is only something you can resolve Kal, it is quite obviously not just being blocked or filtered by one or two, it seems to be almost all of them.

No, he can't resolve it, but then neither can we. It's somewhat out of all of our hands. Let's try again…

For whatever reason, the IP address of the server the forum is running on has been blacklisted, and many mail services subscribe that list and block the mail. Once it's blacklisted, it's very difficult to get that fixed. So, it's not your fault, it's not my fault, and its not really Kal's fault, but it's a problem for all of us. Like Kal said, it's working on his end in that he gets notifications on the mail server he runs, so the forum is generating and sending the notifications. But, some/many/most large mail providers are blocking those messages. Kal can try to get the site unblocked, but it's very difficult and time-consuming, and therefore really not something he can resolve - at least not easily.

Whether it is related to the fact i get emails from other forums or not is totally irrelevant, its not something we can fix from this end!!

Yes, that you get emails from other forums is totally irrelevant, but you're the one who brought it up, not Kal! To your other point, it's not something he can necessarily fix (easily) from his end, either!

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
For whatever reason, the IP address of the server the forum is running on has been blacklisted, and many mail services subscribe that list and block the mail.

That's the funny part. Our IP has been blacklisted by only one list provider (BARRACUDA) and that's been ongoing for almost 2 years now, but our emails stopped being accepted at some of the major ISPs for only a few months now.

You can test it yourself here:

http://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=blacklist%3acurtpalme.com&run=toolpage

Here's another one: http://mail-blacklist-checker.online-domain-tools.com/ (enter "curtpalme.com")

So being black listed by BARRACUDA isn't the (entire) issue here as it's nothing new.

I had rants about this ~2 years ago here: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32863
And here: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32338

BARRACUDA is only one of many hundreds of blacklist monitors. They're well know for holding people hostage until they pay their whitelist service. My hosting provider has been trying to contact them for months now to no avail.

That said, I doubt this listing is the issue. If our IP was truly seen as one used by spammers, we'd be blacklisted by most of those in the list above. This actually happened many years ago when we were on a non-dedicated server with ~6 other customers and one of them got hacked and started spamming because of a trojan that got installed the server. Our IP quickly was listed by most of the list servers above which makes sense since our IP was sending millions of SPAM messages/hour. Once our ISP fixed the problem, we quickly fell off the lists but that was quite some work and took weeks. That's the time I decided to pay up and move to a dedicated box so that we weren't at the whim of what others did (one of the customers had an FTP account with simple password that was compromised with a brute force dictionary attack - idiots!).

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So along these lines, if anyone has recommendations for a pay SMTP service that I can use for forum emails, I'm all ears.

I'm using Amazon SES for all of my personal @curtpalme.com and @theelectricbrewery.com emails and newsletters and it works great, but phpbb2 (the forum software we run here) doesn't support the advanced security required by Amazon SES, and I'm also weary about "poisoning the well" with our forum emails. Reason being, phpbb2 sends out forum emails by bcc'ing all those marked to receive thread notifications and the "To:" field is blank. That in itself may be one of the reasons major ISPs are no longer accepting our forum emails.

It may be time to upgrade to newer forum software, but with 100's of hours of mods installed here including changes to the database structure, that would not be obvious.

Kal

gnnash

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just wondering the other day why I stopped receiving notifications.... Now I know I guess.

What's odd is that I thought all of my spam made it into the dedicated spam folder in gmail. It seems odd to me that a large portion of emails they suspect as spam are sent to this folder, while there are still others that never make it to that level of the filter at all?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good point, which is why I'm not 100% convinced that the issue is strictly ISPs blocking by IP. When the forum software sends out emails it does a "bcc" to everyone that's subscribed to a thread (there's nothing in the "to:" field) at all. It could be that some ISPs have simply started to completely block (and drop) all email that's sent this way.

Here's what the header in the email looks like for a forum notification I received recently... for those that understand this:

Code:
Return-Path: <apache@lded1.atcihosting.com>
Received: from lded1.atcihosting.com (lded1.atcihosting.com [127.0.0.1])
   by lded1.atcihosting.com (8.13.8/8.13.8) with ESMTP id s992D9D9029008
   (version=TLSv1/SSLv3 cipher=DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA bits=256 verify=NO);
   Wed, 8 Oct 2014 21:13:09 -0500
Received: (from apache@localhost)
   by lded1.atcihosting.com (8.13.8/8.13.8/Submit) id s992D9qD029007;
   Wed, 8 Oct 2014 21:13:09 -0500
To:
Subject: 'BARCO-FULLHD: HDMI 1.4 Input Card' at CurtPalme.com
Reply-to: forum-support@curtpalme.com
Message-ID: <63120a60474bb0ed78d1478fec86f2f2@www.curtpalme.com>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
Content-transfer-encoding: 8bit
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2014 21:13:08 -0500
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Mailer: PHP
X-MimeOLE: Produced By phpBB2
X-Antivirus: avast! (VPS 141008-2, 2014-10-08), Inbound message
X-Antivirus-Status: Clean

I should take a look and see if I can force it (hardcode it) to also sent a "to:forum-support@curtpalme.com" (same as the from address) to see if that helps.

As I've mentioned before, I get all the notifications myself because my mail server (ISP) is a server I run myself where I have zero filtering. It's also why I get 600+ SPAM emails/day.

If any email experts have other ideas, I'm all ears.

Kal

gnnash

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about yahoo, hotmail and others, but this page has a good amount of suggestions for sending to gmail specifically, it may be that the others have implemented similar rules which are bouncing the forum emails. The page also has a link to a form to request removal from the gmail blacklist:

http://www.rackaid.com/blog/gmail-blacklist-removal/
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've made some changes to have all forum emails go through a third party pay service. Let me know how you guys make out and if you start getting email notifications. Thanks!

If you're still not getting emails please check what email you have entered in your profile here:

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/profile.php?mode=editprofile

I'm tracking the bounce notifications and a few of you regulars have invalid email addresses in there (DraganM, NettwerkJohn, etc). I've fixed the ones I can, and others I will blank out to avoid causing bounces as that affects our reputation - too many issues and once again other sites will stop accepting email from us. So I want to avoid bounces as much as possible, and I especially want to avoid someone marking forum notifications as SPAM. Get that too many times and we'll get blocked again.

So if you go into your account settings and see that your email is blank, it's because I removed it because it's bouncing/invalid.

Kal

Last edited by kal on Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:05 am; edited 3 times in total
gnnash

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your post was the first forum notification I've seen in months! Worked for me on gmail!

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got this One on my hotmail. First One in a very long time👍
HK-Steve

TV/Projector: Marquee 9500, Epson 8100

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still nothing for me,
I have my own domain, but fingerscrossed it magically works again soon.

Cheers

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing for me either.

iCloud, .mac, and .me accounts

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Forum Feedback All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: