Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Dolby Atmos - Is/will there be a separate processor?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Dolby Atmos - Is/will there be a separate processor? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I have been seeing and reading a lot on Dolby Atmos, and I think when I actually complete my theater some day, I would like to have that as well.

My question is, I really don't want to ditch my AVR for a newer one simply for the features. Aside from being a bit outdated on the pre/pro section, I love my AVR 5805 and have no reason to replace it other than the slightly newer tech that's come out.

So, is there a separate Atmos Processor I could buy and integrate into my system? I'm hoping so, since that would be the main thing I could see enhancing the sound in my theater when its done.

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my understanding, Atmos requires a Blu-ray player with HDMI 1.4, running in bitstream mode, and secondary audio turned off. An Atmos-enabled processor will receive the bitstream from your BD player. I don't really see how you'd use the 5805 that wouldn't just complicate matters. To use any kind of outboard Atmos processor, you'd need to split the traditional 7 channels, send them to the 5805 and use the 5805 just as a "dumb" preamp, then drive a separate amplifier with the Atmos channels from the Atmos processor.

I think for those of us who want to pursue Atmos, it will be worth it to buy equipment designed for that purpose. Fortunately, the capability isn't just relegated to extremely high-end stuff. If you don't mind sacrificing 7-channel surround and going to 5.1.2, you can do it with a receiver a mid-range Onkyo NR-636. If you want 7.1.4 (which is what I'll probably do in my next theater), you'll need an NR-3030, which is pretty pricey.

The 5805 is packed with legacy stuff, and like all receivers makes pretty big compromises. I know it's a really nice piece, but… Do you really need all that legacy stuff, and is it worth sacrificing lots of new functionality to have a pretty legacy-oriented beast?

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
KellenerSptM5

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Dolby Atmos - Is/will there be a separate processor? Reply with quote

Jeremy112 wrote:
I have been seeing and reading a lot on Dolby Atmos, and I think when I actually complete my theater some day, I would like to have that as well.

My question is, I really don't want to ditch my AVR for a newer one simply for the features. Aside from being a bit outdated on the pre/pro section, I love my AVR 5805 and have no reason to replace it other than the slightly newer tech that's come out.

So, is there a separate Atmos Processor I could buy and integrate into my system? I'm hoping so, since that would be the main thing I could see enhancing the sound in my theater when its done.

I doubt it. There really isn't an incentive for the manufacturers to produce something like that, receivers are already pretty cheap.
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, well I am mainly asking as my AVR 5805 has 10 assignable 170 watt channels, and a slew more features that I use. It has individual analog inputs for up to 10 channels, but from what I'm hearing, the atmos processor (if it existed) would need to have the analog outputs as well, since the 5805 likely can't do it digitally.

What about a pre/pro only? Like I said, I have zero need for a different amplifier. I am well aware that my 5805 is dated for the newer tech such as HDMI 1.4 & bitstream etc...

And in regards to the legacy options on the 5805, I DO use the legacy features, since I use Betamax, VHS, HD DVD, and so on... It may be dated, but it has some pretty nice DACs for audio and I have to admit, it is still one of the best sounding pieces of equipment I have had the pleasure of listening to, which makes it hard to completely replace.

I do eventually plan on getting 3 Parasound HCA3500 amplifiers (as I already have one I use for the fronts) so a Pre/Pro would be an option. I have no problem spending a couple grand on a pre/pro since its the piece that tells everything else what to do, and I would like to get a decent one to do it.

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy112 wrote:
Hmm, well I am mainly asking as my AVR 5805 has 10 assignable 170 watt channels, and a slew more features that I use. It has individual analog inputs for up to 10 channels, but from what I'm hearing, the atmos processor (if it existed) would need to have the analog outputs as well, since the 5805 likely can't do it digitally.

What about a pre/pro only? Like I said, I have zero need for a different amplifier. I am well aware that my 5805 is dated for the newer tech such as HDMI 1.4 & bitstream etc...

And in regards to the legacy options on the 5805, I DO use the legacy features, since I use Betamax, VHS, HD DVD, and so on... It may be dated, but it has some pretty nice DACs for audio and I have to admit, it is still one of the best sounding pieces of equipment I have had the pleasure of listening to, which makes it hard to completely replace.

I do eventually plan on getting 3 Parasound HCA3500 amplifiers (as I already have one I use for the fronts) so a Pre/Pro would be an option. I have no problem spending a couple grand on a pre/pro since its the piece that tells everything else what to do, and I would like to get a decent one to do it.

Sure, there have already been a couple of Preamps announced, Integra/Onkyo have them, as does Marantz, I'm sure others will also. They will not be inexpensive though, I would imagine they will be >1800 street.
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't anything announced that will be cheap. Maybe Emotiva or someone like that might have Atmos in the future, but it will probably be awhile. Dolby has stated that it is possible that it could be implemented in software for a HTPC, but again that will probably be awhile.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Atoms won't be cheap - at least initially. The Onkyo 11.4.2 processor is $2500 retail. For awhile at least, it looks like street price will be pretty much retail.

The cheapest Onkyo (and probably in general for awhile) will be the TX-NR1030 at $1699.

One thing that's really bugging me is that Onkyo ditched Audyssey for this generation and replaced it with their in-house room correction, AccuEQ. I haven't read any reviews yet or seen any analysis on how it works, yet. I didn't use Audyssey, as I liked the sound of my manual measurement and EQ better, so probably not a big deal, but I'm wondering what else they've taken out.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/onkyo-tx-nr838-av-receiver
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: