Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Runco 1101 (1209s Data) - VP50 to adjust porch for 1080p

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Video Processors, Converters, Switchers, Cables
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nathan

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject: Runco 1101 (1209s Data) - VP50 to adjust porch for 1080p Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
My PJ has a bit of trouble scanning correctly for 1080p. I was able to pick up a VP50 which I was told could fix the porch settings that aren't adjustable on this PJ directly.

The question is, how is this actually done? I don't actually know exactly what these settings are. I've actually got the picture fitting my screen using the underscan adjustment, but I am thinking this is just using less of the picture.

From another thread:
Quote:
Under format you'll a setting for USER. So first select 1080p-60 then scroll down to USER. This will allow you to setup custom porches and what not. Without the annoyance of holding down the up button to get to 1080p. Also this is the point where the lumagen blows it away.

Do I just have to experiment? Are there certain ones I am after, etc?

Thanks

edit: Something I saw related to the VP50Pro. I assume the non-pro is similar?

Quote:

1080p72 can still be achieved though as follows:

H-SHIFT 64
H-SIZE 1920
H-FRONT 32
H-SYNC 32
H-BACK 32
V-SHIFT 29
V-SIZE 1080
V-FRONT 3
V-SYNC 5
V-BACK 29

gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For 1080p-60 try:
H front: ~100
H sync: ~120
H back: ~250
These are only estimated numbers, but they should work right away, later you might want to reduce porches and sync to optimize the bandwidth requirement of the signal. You don't have to set the V paramters.

View user's photo album (1 photos)
nathan

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you that worked close enough for starters.

Sounds like I really ought to figure out the meaning behind the settings and experiment intelligently.
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Nate,
It's not that hard to comprehend, I'll try to explain it for you.
The projector draws the picture with electron beams as you may know. The electron beam's position is controlled mainly by the vertical and horizontal deflection yokes -you probably also know this too. After the beam is finishing a scan line horizontally or a full frame vertically, it has to be placed in starting position (begining of a new line, or begining of a new frame). The minimal time that is needed for the electron beam to travel from the end of the line to the begining of a new line is usually found in the given projector's technical specifications under the name horizontal and vertical retrace time.

So if you want to display 1920x1080 pixels at 60Hz refresh you will have to add the retrace times to the resolution as a dead time, to not loose any infromation from the video content, since the projector is not able to project information during the retrace times. This dead time is presented in the video signal by the sync time (tsync), front porch (tfp) and back porch (tbp), and all these together called blanking time (see bellow).

In horizontal plane the ratio of (tsync+tfp) and tbp gives how the image is shifted horzontally (H-phase), these numbers are given in pixel count, so my above mentioned timing is actually producing 2390(=1920+100+120+250) total pixels horizontally, the more the count of total pixels the more bandwidth you need for the signal, as our CRT projectors are extremely bandwidth limited we want to keep down the total pixel count (related to active pixels of course), but as you already found out too little total/active pixel ratio causing horizontal clipping. So your goal is to find the least total pixel count for your projector that still shows all adressed pixels. I bet this will be in the 2400(+/-50) pixel range, that's why I suggested those numbers.

View user's photo album (1 photos)
nathan

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gjaky, I just realized I never thanked you for this detailed explanation at the time. I read it and immediately ran off to go tweak things and never came back. Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Video Processors, Converters, Switchers, Cables All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: