Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

OPPO 103D thread.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I edited the thread title. Even though the thread do go off-topic, the thread does have some interesting and useful information, but "Subject lost" was completely useless.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy112 wrote:
CasetheCorvetteman wrote:
macgyver655 wrote:
I buy a lot of store returns also like jermey. Of course I am more choosey, lol. I only buy the higher quality stuff but I also pay a lot more for them. But the fact remains that if you are seeing more of a particular brand and/or model in the return piles then there is something to it, regardless as to whether someone is able to repair them or not.

Well he said five, personally i wouldnt say thats piles of them Laughing

Those were 5 of about 30 Panasonics, there were a total of 75 blu ray players in the pallet, the rest were a mix of Sony, Samsung, Insignia, Dynex, Philips, and a few others.

Ok ill ask nicely 1 more time.. Can you guys make a Panasonic thread where you can argue this subject who have no relevance to this thread.

I have no problem getting around, but this argument is just way off track here, and seems to continue that way.

If the problem is that you dont know how to make a new thread, just let me know and ill make one for you.
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Case. I can only assume you do not quite understand what these liquidation centers are. They are not seconds by any means. 5 devices of the same make on the same 1 single pallet does equate into a pile. Or at the very least, makes you go hmmmmmm.
I can agree with you that 5 units in no way indicates anything substantial in and by itself. But it does warrant some concern when they were all from the same pallet, considering this facility alone probably has hundreds of pallets (depending on his liquidation facility) of electronic devices alone. They don't do any type of sorting but rather spread stuff around to give an assortment which sells better. If it was my pallet it would surely give me enough concern as to avoid purchasing at the very least that model device.
You also have to remember that it is hard to have a substantial position of quality of a device against anyone who physically sees the internal build quality of various devices on a regular basis and has the knowledge of what he is looking at. That would be like me arguing with Curt on a particular crt projector repair. Even though I can probably repair any projector that he can, I could not argue something since he sees them every day and I only occasionally.
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
I edited the thread title. Even though the thread do go off-topic, the thread does have some interesting and useful information, but "Subject lost" was completely useless.

SC

I changed it again. and hope that there will be a Panasonic thread.

Can you make one and move those posts relevant there.?

There have been no comparison between OPPO / Panasonic who might had been relevant.

Other option could be that i start a new OPPO 103D thread and delete my posts here, to keep it easy to track and find for those in the future serching for the OPPO 103D player.

Last edited by stridsvognen on Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stridsvognen wrote:

Ok ill ask nicely 1 more time.. Can you guys make a Panasonic thread where you can argue this subject who have no relevance to this thread.

No.
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stridsvognen wrote:
ecrabb wrote:

SC

There have been no comparison between OPPO / Panasonic who might had been relevant.

Other option could be that i start a new OPPO 103D thread and delete my posts here, to keep it easy to track and find for those in the future serching for the OPPO 103D player.

As long as case doesn't keep on my "case" about it, sure I have no problem stopping. I thought this would have ended a while ago Razz

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy112 wrote:
stridsvognen wrote:
ecrabb wrote:

SC

As long as case doesn't keep on my "case" about it, sure I have no problem stopping. I thought this would have ended a while ago Razz

Hey, we have to read Strids rants and raves on a daily basis so he will just have to tolerate others occasionally.
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy112 wrote:
stridsvognen wrote:
ecrabb wrote:

SC

Im not on your case, im trying to find out the full story behind your loathing of Panasonic!! Smile

RUNCO DTV991 LC ( NEC XG 852 LC ) 100" 4:3 screen, H/K AVR 5.1...
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

macgyver655 wrote:
Jeremy112 wrote:
stridsvognen wrote:
ecrabb wrote:

SC

Hey, we have to read Strids rants and raves on a daily basis so he will just have to tolerate others occasionally.

True indeed Laughing

CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stridsvognen wrote:
stridsvognen wrote:
So what you guys think about the OPPO 103D ??????

Not sure yet, ill let you know when mine arrives. But im still waiting to hear which version you reckon i should buy, the Darbee or non Darbee. When you tell me your opinion and why, i will make the purchase, and we can indeed continue Wink

I only had the 103 visiting for a very short time, and thought it was a nice player.

I still think that the old OPPO 83 is the best blu ray player, if you only look at its ability to output pure Blu Ray quality.

It will do so in whatever colorspace you select, i never seen any issues, and its reference image.

The 103D i think do just as good if the right HDMI output, and right colorspace is selected.

It has some Croma issues on HDMI 1 if not running pure direct, and i see ringing on the croma zone pattern using the 4:4:4 colorspace out on both HDMI 1 and 2.

At the moment it has a problem if you input 480P into its HDMI inputs, the image is shifted to the side.

When it comes to streaming Netflix, its a piece of art, its just smooth, and i wonder where all the color banding is that always annoys me when looking streaming. It just kicks my Apple TV3 in the ass.

For DVD upscaling / deinterlacing, its some of the best i ever seen, if not the best, still need to play some more with that.

I actually think it looks better than my Denon DVD A1XVA- Radiance setup.

Looks like it passes better color resolution, and i did still not see any ringing or deinterlacing artifacts/ combing.

I dont use the Darbee, and never will, its in my opinion just as much crap as all other picture improvements.

So you reckon just get the non Darbee version?

Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy112 wrote:
stridsvognen wrote:
ecrabb wrote:

SC

Im not on your case, im trying to find out the full story behind your loathing of Panasonic!! Smile

Oh I don't hate Panasonic specifically, but I do believe their disc based products to be low quality. I actually have a couple of Panasonic large venue digital projectors and they are really something, liquid cooled DLP chips dual lamps, etc...

Goes to show that certain departments matter more than others I guess!

As for the Oppo 103 I'm sure it's a hell of a player.... Its an oppo Wink

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had a funny speaking of disk based products.

My P90x KempoX DVD woulnd't play in my RCA TV, Pioneer DVD recorder, Sony Bluray player, HP laptop or either of the LG drives in my PC, DVD and bluray. I pulled out my portable LG DVD player and it played it almost NO PROBLEM, 2 little hicups half way through but played the ending that woulnd't play on any others NO ISSUES. Wierd!

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a dialog with OPPO about some different issues with the 103D.

I also made a wish for a new feature.

I asked for a custom resolution with free timing adjustments inside the bandwidth limitation.

Its possible to make, but they were honest to tell me that its not very likely they will do it as there is not much market for CRT who need custom resolution and timings.

If more OPPO owners will be requesting the same feature, who knows.

So please send OPPO a mail and request a custom resolution option. Thumbs Up

A feature like that from a high bandwidth output player would let us run a very simple video chain where the player output a high framerate at any wanted resolution.

Who would mind not needing a Radiance or other expensive processors in the video chain.?
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why dont you just use a PC and be done with?? Then you have PC out via pure RGB direct to projector RGB in, no D/A conversions, no molestations at all. So simple!!

stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why dont you just use a PC and be done with?? Then you have PC out via pure RGB direct to projector RGB in, no D/A conversions, no molestations at all. So simple!!

Wow was not aware that a PC solution was a pure analog device that can read the source as a analog source.

Is it working a bit like MUSE Laserdisc.?

Please link me to some of that super cool hardware.. Very Happy
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pull your head out of your arse buddy...

The video card spits out analog and goes to analog in, no extras in your precious signal path, which is quite obviously what i refered to above....

You want the best device to convert the digital media to an analog output? A computer with a high end video card is going to do a FAR better job than any MOOME or HD Fury device ever could.

stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is that so? What dacs? What filters? What upsampling? What analog cable? How long analog cable?

Can you post some reference 1:1 shots and croma multiburst from each tube and on screen.

Then Ill do the same, and we see what looks most right.
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Between 7-10 meters of Quadshield RG6 with commercial grade 75ohm fittings, no filters, no other fancy garbage. Why would it be upsampled?

How about you do it yourself???

I dont have the time or interest in arguing with you, nor do i have the patterns you want me to test.

Furthermore you dont have the same projector i do, so whats the point?

stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Between 7-10 meters of Quadshield RG6 with commercial grade 75ohm fittings, no filters, no other fancy garbage. Why would it be upsampled?

How about you do it yourself???

I dont have the time or interest in arguing with you, nor do i have the patterns you want me to test.

Furthermore you dont have the same projector i do, so whats the point?

When you claim something ill expect you have tested it somehow, and can prove it.

It might be a good idea if you have a idea what goes on from the source leaves the blu ray disc, untill its on the screen, having a idea what can go wrong, before you drop a statement like you do.

I dont know if your signal is upsampled, mine is to 4:2:2, and i have my dac as close to the input as possible, for less analog signal loss and degradation.

HDMI might be a mess, but when it works, it mostly dont loos or add anything to the signal.

Just a idea, if you dont know what goes on in your PC chain, and you dont know how, or have the time to argue and do some simple test.

It might be a idea not to involve yourself in a argument like this. Wink
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried it, and i have posted one to one proving the bandwidth was superior.

To assume the MOOME or HD Fury id going to have more analog bandwidth than a GTX760 with a bandwidth rating of 400MHz and a max analog resolution of 2560x1600 is to kid yourself really isnt it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6
Jump to: