Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Need 480p test pattern for Hitachi Ultravision.I Messed up !

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HD-DAVE

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:41 pm    Post subject: Need 480p test pattern for Hitachi Ultravision.I Messed up ! Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Being occasionally headstrong with device settings, yesterday I messed up the amplitude settings in my 50V500A RPTV. Sent it a 480p image as the service manual said but didn't realize until too late it had to be one from a video generator type of pattern the service techs have...argh. Its not horrible, just squashed a bit now in 1080i...

Don't haven a video generator handy - Does anyone know where I can get a 480p test pattern where the left half of the screen is full on black, and the right half full on white (or maybe its the other way around) and 0.7 V p-p ?

I checked all thru DVE ( I have the HD-DVD and original DVE version on one disc) and there wasn't anything like that.

I don't have an HTPC but could try hooking one up but how to guarantee its a true 480p output ?

What about a JPEG on an SD card inserted in my Panny Blu-Ray ?

....grasping at straws here I know.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JPG on an SD card is probably your best bet… Better than trying to get your HTPC to output exactly 480p. The only problem may be is if the player outputs JPGs exactly as intended and doesn't under-scan or something. Happy to throw up a couple of test patterns for you to to test if you want to try it, though.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think a GIF or PNG would be better than a JPG. JPGs don't handle sudden transitions (e.g. full black to full white) very well. They tend to "approximate" it. You can get closer with a high-quality JPG, but GIFs will represent the transition without error.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, Gary. PNG is best… I use PNG all the time. I'm not sure how many DVD players would display PNGs, however. PNG definitely isn't as universal as JPG. Besides, if you save a JPG at max quality, it's nearly lossless and should be for the most part indistinguishable from a perfectly lossless image - especially with vast spaces of solid color.

We can try PNG first, though.

SC
HD-DAVE

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies thus far, much appreciated. Well, my Panny BD player only handles JPEGs and AVCHD via the SD card slot so PNG is out. Ecrabb if you are able to generate a patterns in JPEG that would be awesome...Its looking for Black on the left half of the raster, White on the right half, 0.7 volts p-p.

The manual states " Receive 525p (480p) signal (Aspect 16:9 Standard)"... so I guess that's 720x480 pixels

THanks,
Dave
HD-DAVE

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While researching this problem I came across this little gadget... Tenma HDMI pattern generator - about $280

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/content/ProductData/Manuals/72-7480.pdf

There is a pattern called "DYNA GRAY" that looks very much like what I am needing... but I bet its not full on white or black ?
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HD-DAVE wrote:
Its looking for Black on the left half of the raster, White on the right half, 0.7 volts p-p.

The manual states " Receive 525p (480p) signal (Aspect 16:9 Standard)"... so I guess that's 720x480 pixels

OK, I saved a few images out for you. .7v p-p should be IRE100, or full-white, so I saved the file out. Of course, you're relying on the Panny BD player to send the right signal out, but it sounds like you don't have much to lose at this point.

I'm guessing the Panny player will be expecting square pixels, and won't stretch the 720 image, so I gave you both 852x480 and 720x480. I also gave you a version with a border at around the 10% under-scan point so you'll be able to see if the image is displaying full, or if it's the player is adding some black border to under scan the image - some of them do that.

Cheers,
SC
HD-DAVE

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey those look amazing...the first and the last being the ones I will try first. I am really looking forward to seeing how these come out of my BD now...hope the silly thing doesn't show them as a "slide-show" with borders and filenames and junk around them...its been so long since I tried an SD card I can't remember!

THANKS !!!!
HD-DAVE

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay - happy to report my set is back to properly calibrated vertical size now...thanks Ecrabb!!! The first test pattern was the one that worked. I am happy because the damn hockey game scores on TSN aren't partially cut off anymore at the top... go Canadiens! ( only one team to cheer for here in the great white north, sadly !)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. Glad they worked out.

Did you ever try displaying the other two? Just curious how the Panny BD player handled the two different aspect ratios.

Cheers,
SC
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: